- Helmus Plumbing began in 1987
- Main office located in Kalamazoo, MI, with branches in Battle Creek and Grand Rapids
- Serving both the residential and commercial markets, Helmus Plumbing has grown to about 15 employees
- Completed Uponor Factory Training in October 2005
Helmus Plumbing Follows Family Tradition in Business
As a third-generation master plumber, Sid Helmus grew up watching his grandfather and father launch companies in plumbing, mechanical contracting and even lawn sprinkling. When he came of age, he decided that he too wanted his own plumbing company. Serving both the residential and commercial markets, Helmus Plumbing started in 1987 and is located in Kalamazoo, Mich.
Adapting to a changing environment has always been Helmus Plumbing’s strong suit. For example, with the growing emphasis on sustainability, they started paying more attention to radiant heating and cooling methods, and today this part of their business is staying stable in a tough economy. “I’m a huge proponent of Uponor PEX-a tubing and ProPEX® fittings because of its value exceeding far beyond money," he says. “Using PEX and ProPEX fittings help us stay on track with construction projects because it installs quicker than rigid pipe and eliminates the need for torches, glues and other dry-fitting issues.”
Helmus Plumbing and the 48 West Project
Large-scale commercial and residential mixed use development encompassing the city center around the fast-growing Grand Valley State University. The project includes 27 commercial and residential buildings that include exercise facilities, game rooms, meeting rooms and a commons building. In addition, there are 10 apartment buildings and 15 townhomes for a total of 264 units.
Builder: American Village Builders, Kalamazoo, Mich.
Owner: IPA, Grand Haven, Mich.
Installing Plumbing Contractor: Helmus Plumbing, Kalamazoo, Mich.
· Helmus Plumbing installed more than 1,000 bathrooms using Uponor PEX tubing and ProPEX fittings.
· Each unit has a water meter and its own water heater resulting in individual water distribution systems.
· They installed Wirsbo hePEX tubing for the snow-melt system on the city center sidewalks.
· Installations were quick to complete in large part due to the ProPEX fitting systems that were easy to use.